PSUth

Prince Street Youth Ministry Shippensburg, Pa

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Stick with It!!

The PowerHouse: Stick With It
Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Key Verse: 1 Timothy 3:14-16 - Stick with what you learned and believed, sure of the integrity of your teachers—why, you took in the sacred Scriptures with your mother’s milk! There’s nothing like the written Word of God for showing you the way to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another—showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God’s way.

Key Thought: As we start a new year, it is easy for us to become stagnant in our walk with God. As a Christian we have the duty to continue to grow in our knowledge and wisdom of God’s word. Growth becomes the essential element of our walk with God. We must remain diligent in faithful obedience and Christian growth.

Reasons We Struggle to Grow:
1. We’re lazy!!
a. The Bible is boring to read.
b. I don’t understand it.
c. I already know everything.

2. It’s not our top priority.
a. There are more important things to do than study the Bible.
b. I was meaning to do that but I just can’t find the time.
c. Are you kidding me? The new TV shows/football games are on.

3. We don’t care to grow.
a. If I start growing in my Christian walk that means I might have to do something I am not comfortable doing.
b. It’s not cool to show that you are interested in this Christian thing. Others might make fun of me.
c. I really don’t care about growing as a Christian. I just don’t want to go to Hell.

PC Tips to Growth:
1. Understand that God’s words holds truths that help us live a better life.
a. It’s our handbook to RIGHTOUSNESS. It teaches us how to live right. Ephesians 6:2 - “Honor your father and mother.” This is the first commandment with a promise”
b. It gives us words of ENCOURAGEMENT. Proverbs 12:16 – “A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult.”
c. It's where we go for COMFORT.
Jeremiah 29:11 – “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

2. Work on being a better person.
a. Being a good person doesn’t happen overnight, it is a process that takes time and effort and it takes the right kind of guidance. The Guidance only found in God’s word.

3. It is your duty.
a. As a Christian, it is your duty to study God’s word.
b. It’s your duty to be able to share God’s word with those whom you come in contact with.
c. It’s your duty to know what God’s word is telling you so you can live like a Christian should.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home